Sunday, March 8, 2015

The Proud Misfit

I am
  • ... a woman
  • ... self-sufficient
  • ... in my thirties
  • ... single
  • ... left-handed (but that's a story for another day)
Long story short, I am a MISFIT.

Living in a city where I am the living exception to the rule. This fact grants me the privileged position of being the target of awkward (and quite frankly, in many cases rude) comments, questions and moments all around the same theme: 
"What am I doing with my life??"
And although at the beginning all these comments made me want to climb under my duvet and cry myself blind; wisdom (actually, no, not wisdom, but rather, not giving a damn - for the use of a better word) has made me realise that not being like others is what gives me an identity.

I have accepted that I am where I have to be and made my mission to make others accept this too. Listen up:

  • the only babies/toddlers I like are the ones I share some part of DNA with. And even those, I am happy to give back after a while
  • no, I'm not worried about finding someone - last time I checked I hadn't lost anything
  • the time when I felt the loneliest is when I had (the wrong kind of) someone by my side
  • stop asking me whether I have a partner! Not having one does not make me a defective person and it certainly does not define me
  • defining me by my relationship status says more about you than it does about me
  • yes, I might be picky, but shouldn't you be with the person you decide to share your life with?
  • I'm not sure if destiny has something good waiting for me, what I do know is that the best way to predict the future is to create it. I wouldn't be where I am if I had left things to chance instead of working by butt off!
  • in the past 10 years or so I've lived in 5 different cities, met people for more countries that I know existed and seen places I had only dreamed of visiting. No, I don't feel like I'm throwing my life away
  • I've found a passion and I'm pursuing a dream. I'm not trying to get you to follow my dream, so quit trying to single me out for not wanting to follow yours.

This is my life and I am working on being happy to be living it.





No comments:

Post a Comment